Thursday, July 14, 2016

The Moral of the Story: Listen to your Gut (or, Chunky Throw FO)

I often have fits of inspiration in the middle of the night, or while I am falling asleep. More often than not these ideas go to waste because I'm too lazy to write them down, but I actually remembered this idea of a chunky, gradient-like chevron throw for our bedroom. It turned out just like I imagined...





Except this version was completed after a supreme fail. When I started this, I did not make a gauge swatch (first mistake), eyeballed it after a few rows (second mistake), and kept going even when I felt it was going to be too wide (third, and biggest, mistake). When I ran out of yarn this behemoth was over 8' wide, but just over 4' long. Super awkward dimensions, and it also weighed about a hundred pounds.

The icing on the cake was that, due to the way the gradient was done (swapping out one of three strands every so many rows), it had to be unravelled into three balls of yarn at a time. All 6,500 yards of it.

After some tears and some threats to throw it in the garbage, it took me about six hours total to unravel the stupid thing. Why did I come back to this? Because I am a glutton for punishment, I suppose.



So, I reiterate, the moral of this story is to listen to your instincts. If you've got a bad feeling (especially after doing things you know are naughty, like not using a gauge swatch...) then stop. Your gut is usually right and can save you hours of heartache!

No comments:

Post a Comment