Thursday, February 18, 2016

Yarn Review: Red Heart Boutique Unforgettable

Weight: Worsted
Fiber Content:100% acrylic
Construction: Single Ply
Yardage/Weight: 279 yds (256 m) / 3.5 oz (100g)
Price: $5.99/ball (2.1 cents/yd) @ Michaels, $6.19/ball (2.2 cents/yd) at Red Heart.com, and $6.49/ball (2.3 cents/yd) @ Joann
Color Range: Available in 15 colorways
I used it for: a hat and a cowl
http://www.redheart.com/yarn/boutique-unforgettable?variantPage=0
Product Photo from Red Heart.com


Pros: Let me start by saying this: if you didn't know this already, I'm not a yarn snob. I am just as likely to buy and use thrifted mystery acrylic as I am to spend an entire paycheck on some Madelinetosh Pashmina. That being said, I think Red Heart Boutique Unforgettable is easily my favorite "economy" yarn I've ever used. The colorways are just gorgeous- I've used two of them so far, Parrot (shown below) and Sunrise, and they very much have the look a handpainted yarn.


Things to Consider: I'm not using the word "cons", because there's really nothing I dislike about this yarn. I will point out, though, that being a single ply it is prone to fuzz, and the finished fabric does have a wee bit of a bias to it. You can see this in the sample photo below. It is also a bit too delicate to be frogged easily. There were a few splices in the balls I've used - not something I typically care  much about (except when they're done terribly!), but from time to time it causes an abrupt change in color rather than a smooth transition. You can also see this in the samples - where pink and seafoamy-green meet. For the projects that I used this for, not a big deal... but for a sweater or something larger, perhaps a bit of a nuisance.

No comments:

Post a Comment