Thursday, September 10, 2015

TBT: First Yarn Ever

I finally got my blue fluff plied and it is being dried under tension right now - I am so excited about it! It's been several years since I started it and it feels good to get some of these old, languishing things finished and out of the corners of my mind.

As I'm eagerly waiting for it to dry (so that I can officially call it "finished") I think about the first yarn I ever spun with a little "awwww." There isn't much left of this skein, but I can never bear to throw it away when I've done stash purges over the years



I really dove headfirst into yarncrafting as a therapeutic outlet in 2009. I decided to take my yarn love past just knitting and crochet, so I took a spinning class at Village Wools in Albuquerque in 2010 and I was hooked!

This little skein was my third - the first two were really thick 'n thin, scraggly and sad. I dyed some white wool (can't even remember the type, it's been so long!) and spun the singles for this and then plied them on my Schact Hi-Lo spindle. The fact that I could actually use this yarn that I had spun with my own two hands was an amazing feeling.

And use it, I did! I knit this little bitty phone cozy.



I still am drawn to spinning, even though I don't do very much of it. I would love to have a wheel someday, but in the meantime, I get my fiber fix in every now and then!

No comments:

Post a Comment