Sunday, September 20, 2015

KnitPicks Options Interchangeable Needle Set - Product Review

It's been a good long while since I did a product review, but I've been using my Options Interchangeable Wood Needle Set for about a year now so I can share my thoughts on it.

It looks like they've changed the name since I made my purchase - mine was labeled as the "Harmony" set, and now it appears they are the "Rainbow" set - but the needles appear to be the same to me in the pictures on the website. The set retails for $55.99 on the KnitPicks website - putting you into the Free Shipping range, which is nice! - and periodically they have their needles on sale so you could snag it for less than that.

It is packaged in a 9" x 5" vinyl case, like so:

The set comes with US sizes 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10,5 and 11, in addition to two each of 24" and 32" cables, eight end caps, and two cable keys. 

The Pros: These really are well crafted interchangeable needles. The joins are smooth, the threading on the couplings screws in readily, and the area where the wood needle fits the metal casing is almost seamless. The metal casings also have the needle size imprinted, which is a nice feature. I have to say, I love these cables - they are flexible and with just enough spring to them that it doesn't distort my knitting as I'm working or fight me as I knit.

The Cons: The set does not come with cable connectors, in the event that you need something longer than 32". KnitPicks does offer connectors for sale separately for $1.99 (plus shipping), which I ended up buying some time after this purchase. You can also buy different lengths of cables individually for $1.99 as well. The vinyl case is not very attractive. There are some rather cute cases available, but they aren't cheap ($38).

Overall, I love this set. I would give it 4.5 out of 5 stars simply for the lack of the cable connector - but that is just a nuisance rather than a deal breaker for me. I still have my eye on the Skacel Addi Turbo Click Set as a compliment to my stash of needles - wooden needles do not suit all fiber types, so you might find yourself supplementing this set with metal or acrylic needles.

No comments:

Post a Comment