Friday, July 3, 2015

FO: Checkers, a Cropped Pullover

Many years ago, when I was making my first clumsy garter stitch squares, I bought a cropped pullover from The Buckle that I just adored. I remember thinking, "Someday, I could knit this!" It didn't last very long before it started to fall apart, so before I threw it out I took a couple notes about it and said my farewells. This one isn't very true to the original, but has a lot of the elements I liked-- cropped with fitted sleeves and some interesting almost sculptural details. And Checkers was born!

I actually finished this last winter, but just haven't gotten around to creating an FO post. Even though it was rather hot today I thought it would look nice over this lace dress that has been lurking in my closet for years. I wanted a dense enough fabric that I could wear this well into the late fall, but I also wanted something breathable; hence a cotton/silk blend on smallish needles.
I like that it's something I can wear over a dress for some extra coverage, over a button-down blouse to dress it up for work, or over a tank top to dress it down for a night out. It has turned out to be a great layering piece!
Knit in Mirasol Yarns Wach'i, colorway 1503 on size 6US needles, approximately 980 yards for a size L. I'm still on the fence whether or not I want to draft this into a pattern to make available via Ravelry...I might get around to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment