Saturday, March 14, 2015

Cecilia Problems, and the Value of Schematics

I've finally decided to swallow my pride and unravel my Cecilia back to the end of the yoke. This is an issue entirely of gauge and drape - nothing wrong with the pattern; it was exceptionally well written. But, I should have paid a bit more attention to the gauge and the schematic of the garment when I was planning it.


When you look at a schematic, especially for a garment that does not have a traditional silhouette, it's a little tough to foresee how it's going to actually fit you without going to the length of making a muslin for it. The Spring/Summer 2015 issue of Vogue Knitting has a very interesting article by Deborah Newton on over sized garments and fit. "Over sized" is a reference to a garment that is intended to be worn with a fair bit of positive ease - not to be confused with "plus sized," which is a reference to the garment size.

I like a flowy batwing blouse just as much as I like a fitted cardigan, and I loved how Cecilia looked on the model. Check out the Ravelry patten page; there is certainly a lot of variation in the shape and fit amongst the finished projects. The circumference and length of mine after finishing the yoke just wasn't quite wide enough or long enough to achieve the same look - and it's primarily because my gauge was slightly off. It wasn't off by much - but that, compounded by the fact that I am taller than average, led to my fit issues. If only I had paid more attention to that schematic, I would have known that my length wouldn't be where I typically like my blouses.

It's still a pretty blouse - but the ribbing hits me right in the thicker area of my midsection, so it just isn't very flattering. It also doesn't have quite the same amount of positive ease that it needs to get that breezy look. I'm ripping back to just prior to the sleeve separation and knitting an additional 3-4 inches incorporating a few rows of increases prior to beginning the sleeves, and then adding another inch or two to the body before starting the ribbing.
 



Here's hoping I get it right this time, after really taking that schematic into account!

No comments:

Post a Comment